Monday, February 25, 2013

First Plane Ride

Still reeling from exhaustion, the most exciting thing in the cards for me was sleep but the barrage of food and drinks was about to begin. This was starting to get interesting, unlimited food and drink for "free"? The only other place where we would normally enjoy this kind of food freedom was weddings, North Indian wedding receptions to be succinct.  My brother Anand, cousin Arun and I would compete on who can drink most "Rasna" (famous orange juice in 80s and 90s) or consume ice-cream that would generally be available in abundance at these events, alas there was no one on the plane to challenge, it just wasn't the same.

Speaking of challenges, the first one presented itself in the form of buckle or seat-belt. Seasoned travelers settled in quickly as they fastened my newest enemy, I had to study someone do it while not looking like a stalker, somehow I was able to learn the art and soon I was in Elite company. "something to drink Sir?" asked the attendant very politely, I nodded positively and there it was, my first food or beverage on an airplane, concentrated orange juice, it was very acidic, it has been a while since then but I remember that taste very vividly, probably due to the shocked state of the mind that may have recorded it. Almost every event since then for the next several hours was a first for me, from receiving hot towels in the plane or learn how to properly latch the bathroom door securely on the plane or ascending at several thousands of feet from the ground.

And then it struck me, I was going to miss the Cricket World Cup for the first time since I started following as a young lad, it was starting on May 16th, a week after my departure. Fortunately I was only supposed to be gone for a month for training in a software product so that put me back in India on June 9th which means I could still make it in time for most of Super Six stage and Semis and Final, there was some solace for me at least, as far as I was concerned June 9th couldn't come any faster. Eventually my tired body and soul gave up the fight as I drifted with eyes closing on me, before I knew it the first stop was here, "Bangkok, Thailand".

No comments:

Post a Comment